Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Monday, July 5, 2010

Our first post...



...okay, Nomi and I (Joy) have started this blog so that we can keep track of our training progress as we both train for our very first 1/2 marathons. The hitch is that Nomi is in Malaysia, and I am in Canada! You try having your training partner on the other half of the world! :)

While our blog is really just for us to keep track of our training, if other people find it helpful with their own training or even just with thinking about getting back into running (or starting up for the first time) that's great! While Nomi was a runner in college and even kept up her running until she was 6 months pregnant, after having her daughter her running suffered. Being a busy mom and full-time physician left her with little time to keep up her running, and when she finally quit her job to spend more time with her daughter she realized that her body had not returned to its normal self. While I don't have any kids, I only took up running in 2007, and then just as I was getting the hang of it, I moved to a new city in 2009, starting a long-distance marriage. It sucked a lot, and as you can well imagine, I turned to chocolate. So when Nomi and I were able to visit each other in Malaysia for Christmas 2009, both of us feeling fat and uninspired, and a friend mentioned a nighttime 10km women's only race in Singapore at the end of May, I looked to Nomi and said, "I'll do it if you do it." She was game! So I headed back to Canada and signed up for the race in Singapore for May 29, 2010. I emailed Nomi, and she did the same. We did our best to run from January to May being in different countries, and when I arrived in Malaysia in early May for our holiday and to acclimatize, we were finally able to run together. Luckily, we ran at around the same pace and both enjoyed running together rather than separately via email.

May 29th came, so we packed up husbands and her daughter and headed to Singapore for the race weekend. We both just wanted to run 10km in less than 60 minutes and have fun doing it. In the end, my time was just over 54 mins. and Nomi's was just over 56 mins. Even though it was damn hot and damn humid, we enjoyed the run, and Nomi signed up for some other 10km races throughout the summer while I hopped back on a plane and back to Canada. I've signed up for a 1/2 marathon in October, and she's signed up for a 1/2 marathon in November. So we'll sign into this blog to chart our progress.

So far, here are my training stats:
First run on returning to Canada: June 5, 2010 - 12.94 km at 6:28min/km
June 7, 2010 - 8.85km at 5:56min/km
June 12, 2010 - 13.07km at 5:56min/km
June 13, 2010 - 8.8km at 6:04min/km
June 16, 2010 - 5km at 6:04min/km
June 17, 2010 - 9.1km at 6:02min/km
June 21, 2010 - 13.07km at 5:54min/km
June 22, 2010 - 8.85km at 6:06min/km
June 23, 2010 - 5km at 6:22min/km
June 24, 2010 - 9km at 5:53min/km
June 26, 2010 - 14.01km at 5:46min/km
June 29, 2010 - 8.93km at 5:47min/km
June 30, 2010 - 5km at 5:53 min/km
July 3, 2010 - 13.6km at 5:56min/km
July 4, 2010 - 6.5km at 5:46min/km

I've done a few easy bike rides in there as well, and I plan to systematize the training moving forward, but for now I've just been trying to put some kilometres in my legs to build up my endurance. Today is a rest day, but I'll log back on tomorrow with an update of tomorrow's workout. In the meantime, Nomi (who is 12 hours ahead of me) may just log in with details of her own!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment