Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Thursday, September 2, 2010

"You Run Like a Girl"





Joy here...We went for an easy 9km run this morning just to keep our legs loose after yesterday's "tempo run" (if you can call it that).  After that I went out for a 2 hour bike ride.  The main thing that these bike rides are supposed to achieve vis-a-vis my running is that they should strengthen my muscles, which in the end, will help with the pain that I've been having in my knees.  My chiropractor who has been trying to loosen my muscles and give me strength workouts for my quads to address my knee discomfort put my knee problems simply when she told me that I run like a girl.  Literally.  What she means is that my natural body shape leads my knees to be somewhat knock kneed; I have what my mother would call "child bearing hips," which means that my hips are rounded and this natural rounding keeps my legs from being perfectly straight.  Great.  Lucky me.  The solution to this is to build up my leg muscles, which will help to keep my legs and my knees straight when I run.  

In the meantime, I just have to suck up the fact that I have a "feminine body type" that isn't necessarily perfectly designed for running.  I have to admit that such a diagnosis really pisses off my feminist self, and I'm hoping to channel that angry feminist within to help me get my training back on track.  Maybe I'll burn a sports bra or two.

Over and out,
Joy

**Note:  The girl graphic was taken from http://www.bladediary.com/toronto-star-girl/, which is a blog dedicated to showcasing the really cool street art instillations of Toronto visual artist, Postergirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment